We know that Agenda-Setting Theory (McCombs and Shaw) says mass media decides what topics are salient, which ultimately sets the public’s agenda. McCombs and Shaw introduced this theory because of politics. Their original argument was “mass media set the agenda of issues for a political campaign by influencing the salience of issues among voters.”
Some people argue since social media has affected the notions of this theory. “Social media can be used as a tool by politicians and the public to communicate an agenda that, in turn, shapes the media agenda.”
In today’s world, journalists are searching social media for stories. Therefore, poor social media habits and decisions can become headlines. These negative headlines could damage the public’s perceptions of someone as a politician or public figure.
The best example for poor social media use is President Donald Trump’s Twitter. He is 100% influenced by mass media. He’s always reading the news and tweeting about it. His rude tweets often make headlines daily.
Other Twitter mistakes politicians have made are: Congressman Anthony Weiner accidentally tweeting a lewd photo of himself, Newt Gingrich hiring fake followers, and Yvette Clarke’s simple fact error about Abraham Lincoln.
- Clean it up: Delete posts from your younger days or things that might be embarrassing. You have know idea what someone could find.
- Be weary: As a public figure especially, you must always be cautious about what you share, say, like, or favorite.
- Research your sources: If it’s from The Onion, as a politician, you can’t get away from sharing it.
- Fact check!
- Don’t name call or say rude things about another person. It ruins your credibility.
- Proof read to make sure your tweet makes sense.
- Be authentic
Truly weird Senator Rand Paul of Kentucky reminds me of a spoiled brat without a properly functioning brain. He was terrible at DEBATE!
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) August 11, 2015
— Ed Balls (@edballs) April 28, 2011
Just watched history on An American Experience abt Thomas Edison the inventor Thx Comcast on Arlington Va Channel 19 DO U GET MESSAGE HISTORY CHANNEL???
— ChuckGrassley (@ChuckGrassley) December 30, 2017
Never in U.S.history has anyone lied or defrauded voters like Senator Richard Blumenthal. He told stories about his Vietnam battles and….
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) August 7, 2017